Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Kids Spring Crafts and Cooking: Caterpillar Craft and Kite in the Clouds Recipe

Caterpillar Craft



Here's what you'll need...
• Construction paper
• Scissors
• Pipe cleaner
• Marker
• Pen or pencil



Here's how you make it...
1. Cut different colored circles out of construction paper. Cut as many as you'd like, the more you cut the more colorful and long your caterpillar will be.




2. Using a pen or pencil, punch holes in the center of each circle and
tread onto a pipe cleaner.

Repeat until you have made your caterpillar as long as
you would like it.



3. Fold the pipe cleaner on either end to secure the circles and draw on two eyes.

My kids love this craft! It's a fun way to talk about patterns.
I make 3 samples:
random colored caterpillar
AB pattern caterpillar ( green yellow green yellow)
ABC pattern caterpillar (green yellow orange green yellow orange)






Kite in the Clouds Recipe











Ingredients:
1 box of blue jello - already prepared
1 can of whipped cream
1/2 fruit roll up per child cut into the shape of a kite
clear cup
straw


Directions:
Fill up cup 2/3 full with your jello. What color is the jello?
Look outside - what does the color of the jello remind you of?
The blue jello represents the sky.
I usually sneak in a math lesson - Put 6 spoonfuls of jello in your cup




Then the best part of this recipe - Fill the cup up with whipped cream.
WOW! What a hit!
My kids loved squirting the whipped cream!
Place your straw with your kite in your clouds and Voila!
You have a beautiful kite flying high in the sky in the clouds!
Best of all - it's quite tasty!



I love cooking with kids. I've never met a child that didn't like to measure, stir, and eat!
I always make sure that I have everything handy and ready to go, I usually cook with 8 - 10 children at a time and if you have to go look for an item - it can get really messy! When choosing recipes, I try to pick ingredients that the majority will like - I hate to waste food.

Most importantly, keep it simple!

I hope you enjoy these activities, click on comments and let me know!
Pam









1 comment: