Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Creating Lapbooks: Killer Whales Unit

Hi all!
I've had a great couple of weeks, getting used to the idea that I'm actually retired! I traveled for a few weeks and then I tackled my workroom and garage! I've got so much teaching material - my garage was full of boxes - that I felt I needed to get organized before I start working.

I will be listing lots of teaching materials over the next few weeks, so be sure and check out my
Ebay Shop. I'm also weeding out my cookbooks, so if you like to cook I've got Southern Living and Taste of Home Annual Cookbooks up for auction.

Now to my latest find. I recently discovered Lapbooks and I absolutely love them! What a great way to teach a unit! I tutor and I'm always looking for ways to keep my students excited and happy to see me. I often tutor 2 hours at a time and I really have to keep creative to keep my 6 year old students on task.

Last week, I decided to see if a lapbook would be interesting. WOW!!!! Talk about success.
In fact, she was so excited about her Killer Whale Lapbook, that her mom scheduled extra sessions, so that we could complete it! One of our favorite activities was measuring string the
length of assorted whales. We had so much fun estimating how much 80 feet looked like then actually measuring! As a added plus - I was excited and engaged and looking forward to tutoring!

There are several great websites that offer free lapbooks and some great pictures of the finished product, so that you can figure out what you're doing!

Here is a great video of a Whale Lapbook:



Here are some great links for Whale Lapbooks:
Killer Whale Lapbook by Lapbook Lessons - you have to register but it's free!
Simple Lapbooks Blog - great pictures of a completed Whale Lapbook
Dolphin Lapbook by Homeschool Share = wonderful website
Whale Lapbook by 1+1+1=1
Great list of lapbook links from 1+1+1=1

I'd love your comments. Anyone lapbook? Have pictures to share?
Enjoy your day!
Pam

1 comment:

  1. How cool is this idea?? It had never occurred to me to make a lapbook and I had never even heard the term before, to be perfectly honest with you! I teach K and fully intend on trying this out this year; I will send you photos of our finished products!

    Thanks for all of the WONDERFUL tips and ideas on your blog. I am truly impressed with the work you do and am amazed by all of these creations. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

    ReplyDelete